Goldenseal Sanctuary Artpieces

finally internet at the sanctuary! I don't know if this will be a good thing or bad thing. But, one benefit will be that I can update this more with my artistic doings. I am currently living in Rutland, Ohio at a place called the "Goldenseal Sanctuary". I am incredibly lucky to be here. I just finished my 6 week internship studying plants, doing work for the sanctuary, learning how to use tools, taking classes with local herbalists and medicine-people. I am staying another 4 weeks here alone to do a work trade, and continue my relationship with the forest here, slowing down to listen alone, collecting medicine (with the plants' blessings of course), finishing group projects, and art of course! Part of my work trade is going to include painting or creating art pieces for each of our dorm rooms in the renovated horse barn. Each room will be named after a plant found here including: Ginseng, Goldenseal, Black Cohosh, and a few others that we interns chose together. Wendy Viny from down the road, and I, have come up with some creative ideas for the signs. She has experience with a whole array of materials. One method she has worked with is transfering images with this type of copy paper--it can move a printed image onto fabric or canvas and then painted over to create surreal effects. She also has a projector that can be shot onto a piece for tracing or painting.
I was thinking that doing pieces featuring each plant with this method would create an amazing effect. The plant picture transferred onto fabric and then acrylic matte onto a piece of wood, and then painted over with acrylics, and then stenciled vintage text of the plant's scientific name over that, another coat of acrylic matte or poly (i think there are enviro-friendly versions) and done! I'm excited to learn new techniques.
I hope to be heading over to the art barn today to do some creative things. I miss sewing so much! I didn't bring my fabric here--I didn't think I would have the time to do any sewing. I found some really amazing fabric for cheap at a yard sale recently and tons and tons of lace and zippers! Wendy has a sewing machine. I don't have my beads with me--I'll have to find some creative things to do. Dogbane/Honeysuckle woven handles? Hmm..

Comments

  1. Hey Kelly!!! I finally found the slip of paper you wrote your contact info on!!! I've been catching up with your summer and it sounds like you've been having a grand time! I'm very interested to see how your new art techniques turn out...keep me posted! It sounds amazing! I've gotten back into felting and have been knocking out flowers, birds, and am going to attempt an owl today...I'll let you know how it turns out. Hope your summer is going great and that you are loving what you do. Take care, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment