High School Batik

I realized I never posted this piece on my bigger batik expedition/experiment. I took these photos in May and they are of a large 2 ft by 3 ft? piece I did in high school. I was standing on my tip toes in my dad's farm shop where it hangs on the wall to try to get some decent pictures of it so bear with the lower quality photos.




This was a project I embarked on during a particularly rough part of high school for me: the end of my senior year. We were experimenting with batik in art class; I made a few swatches, and based this larger batik on a small swatch I did. (I liked the swatch better) It was difficult because I had to soak this whole page with water without tearing it.
-I crayoned the colored triangles. I forget the type of paper I used now. I know a particular variety works best, though.
-I balled it up ALOT.
-I then painted over the whole entire thing with acrylics? I haven't done much batik since, obviously.
-Then I washed the paper into a big sink to uncover the crayon and reveal the wrinkles.






The full size piece:

Comments