An Otherworldy Art Show



This past Saturday, amidst tornado warnings and unfinished projects abound, I and others held an art show of our own work in Historic Ghent, Norfolk, Virginia. Actually, it took place at friends Skye and Gabe's downtown apartment. Skye and Gabe have gotten themselves in official 'art' shows, but Ted, Eve, and I are not there yet.

We took the day to set up our display spots. I put my things up on the fireplace, draping some of my extra fabrics around my paintings. Ted put his on the wall adjacent. Gabe used his art studio as his gallery spot. Sky and Zoe (another great artist) put their stuff up in the spare bedroom.

I've never displayed my art like this, so it was a new experience. But, it didn't feel really 'official'. But then again, what is official exactly? I enjoyed sharing my art with my friends. I wish i had had more art talk with people, instead i had more 'living right is infinitely important' talks. That's okay.
I finally put prices on things I have done, at least my bags anyway. With the enormous amount of hours i put into beading, details, hand sewing stability, knitting..it added things up to be quite pricey. I wanted to make these things affordable. I didn't even think about selling my art ever until now, so it will be interesting to see how this whole selling art thing pans out. I wonder if anyone will take my labor price for my work?

We also started an art installation in one corner of the apartment. It reminded me of a weaving structure Blair and I worked on the winter I spent off-the grid with her in New Hampshire. We had a lot of quiet electricity-less cabin time to weave yarn, beads, hemp, trash-turned art materials into a beautiful curtain that hung from a wall overlooking Mount Monadnock.


Comments